Ancho-crusted New York strip roast
With Coffee Gravy
The bold flavors of ancho chili and coffee perk up the natural flavors of New York strip roast.
- 1 Open Prairie® Natural* Angus Beef boneless strip roast (about 4 lb), fat trimmed to ¼ inch
- 4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 4 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ c all-purpose fl our
- 3 c beef stock
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Mix together ancho chili powder, 3 teaspoons of the instant espresso powder, brown sugar, cumin, oregano, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of the salt; rub all over roast.
- Place on rack in roasting pan; roast for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; roast for about 65 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 145°F for medium-rare when inserted into center. Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pan gravy. On stovetop, heat roasting pan over medium-high heat; stir in remaining instant espresso powder, remaining salt and fl our. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in stock; bring to boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes or until thickened; strain into warmed gravy boat. Slice beef and serve with gravy. ribs during cooking. Serve with remaining sauce.
- TIP: Roast can be rubbed with spice mixture, wrapped and refrigerated for up to 24 hours to intensify flavor.