Wine and herb braised beef
With Creamy Polenta
Succulent, flavorful and melt-in-your-mouth tender, this simple yet impressive dish is perfect for entertaining.
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
- 3 lb Open Prairie® Natural* Angus Beef eye of round roast, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3⁄4 c chopped shallots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 c red wine
- 2 c sodium-reduced beef stock
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose fl our
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Rub beef with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown beef all over. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook shallots, garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until shallots are softened and golden brown. Add wine and 1 cup of the stock; bring to simmer. Return beef to pot; cover and transfer to oven. Braise, checking every hour and adding more stock if needed, for about 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Transfer meat to large bowl and shred using two forks. Skim any fat from surface of sauce and discard along with herb stems and bay leaf. Whisk flour into remaining stock; whisk into pan juices. Bring to boil and cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pot.
- For creamy polenta: Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring water and salt to boil; reduce heat to low. Add cornmeal, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in butter.
- To serve, arrange braised beef and sauce over creamy polenta. Garnish with parsley.
- TIP: Left over beef and sauce can be combined and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- 4 c water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp butter
Total Fat: 24g
Total Carbohydrate: 36g