Life is all about balance — including what we eat. And having a well-balanced diet is one of the keys to staying physically fit throughout life. A great way to achieve a balanced lifestyle is by eating a mix of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, healthy fats, low fat dairy and lean protein. Some lean proteins can be found in the Open Prairie® Natural* Meats portfolio including pork tenderloin, center-cut pork loin and top sirloin steak.
Why balance is better
Keep up with life’s demands
Whether you’re preparing for an important work meeting, playing in the backyard with the kids or squeezing in a workout, a balanced diet helps provide the energy you need to keep up with your busy life and conquer the day.1
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Balanced, nutritious foods can help you maintain an active lifestyle and better manage stress — especially when paired with exercise. This helps maintain an ideal weight and may help improve how you feel.1
Set a good example
Setting goals for yourself could potentially rub off on your loved ones. Having a balanced diet is the perfect way to set a good example for your family. Better yet, have them join you by making smart choices and staying active together.1
Meal planning checklist to help you eat well
Eating a balanced diet is easier than you think. With just a few tweaks or additions, you can start eating nutritiously — and deliciously. When meal planning, try to include1:
- A salad or different-colored veggies, such as spinach, sweet potatoes and red, green, orange or yellow peppers
- Fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products or nondairy products such as almond milk
- Different-colored fruits, including apples, bananas, grapes and more
- Lean protein products like pork tenderloin, center-cut pork loin and top sirloin steak can be found in the Open Prairie Natural Meats portfolio, and in other protein rich foods like chicken, seafood, eggs, tofu or beans
- Whole grains such as brown rice, oatmeal, whole-wheat bread and whole-grain cornmeal
Benefits from the inside out
The benefits of a balanced diet go far beyond feeling good about yourself. There are many tangible benefits that are important to maintaining good health and may help in preventing certain health concerns.
Healthy eating may2:
- Help you live longer
- Keep skin, teeth and eyes in good shape
- Support muscles
- Boost immunity
- Strengthen bones
- Lower risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- Help the digestive system function
- Help achieve and maintain an ideal weight
Eating a balanced diet has many positive benefits that are important to our health, nutrition and our day-to-day activities. Creating recipes around lean beef and pork is a great step in the right direction.
This article is part of a three – part series on nutrition and wellness.
Want to learn more on this topic? Check out our articles on communal meals and babies and protein.